I just returned from the second Vino & Vinyasa Yoga Retreat this season and can honestly say that the Okanagan is a prime location for a perspective-shifting yoga retreat. Don't get me wrong; I believe in traveling the world and experiencing different cultures and landscapes. Nevertheless, the Okanagan has so much to offer and is relatively untouched by tourism if you visit outside of July and August. So if you live in the Okanagan, it's time to experience your own backyard (and be sure to invite your out-of-town friends; they will be highly impressed!), and if you are not from the area, you will likely be surprised by how ideally suited the Okanagan is to your yogic needs!
Here are the reasons why the Okanagan makes an ideal place for a yoga retreat:
- The climate. The Okanagan region of British Columbia is home to one of the warmest and sunniest climates in Canada. This means that even in the shoulder season you have the opportunity to get your asana on outside! Rain is rare and brief, and in the Osoyoos/Oliver area, which is considered dessert, rain is practically non-existent.
- The food. Because of the climate, the Okanagan is well-known for its fresh local produce available from March to October. Restaurants in the area support the local economy and appeal to their clientele by preparing their meals with plenty of locally sourced foods. Fuel your vinyasa with buttery asparagus in the spring and crunchy apples of all varieties in the fall.
- Accessibility. Kelowna has an international airport and all other towns in the Okanagan region are within a 1-2 hour drive of Kelowna. Car rentals and Greyhound bus service is conveniently available in Kelowna.
- The Resorts. Accommodation in the Okanagan is luxurious and unique. As home to some of the most spectacular resorts in country like Sparkling Hill Resort and Watermark Beach Resort, get your zzzzz's in plush beds that overlook rolling hills and pristine lakes.
- And finally, the wine. The Okanagan is home to "The Wine Capital of Canada" and nothing will help you come deeper into the moment than a fine glass of Pinot Gris. Just make sure that your yoga practice is completed BEFORE you start wine touring.